Family Caregiver Support Program
Help for those who are caring for their elderly loved ones at home. . . Providing information, counseling and support for people who are caring for older family members, friends or neighbors.
If you are caring for an elderly loved one, friend or neighbor, you need to know about the ways that the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas can help you.
To improve the quality of life for you and the one you care for, the agency offers:
Baxter County -
- Alzheimer’s Dementia Family Caregiver Support Group meets the 4th Thursday of every month at 2:00 PM at the Mruk Family Center on Aging. Call (870) 508-3880.
- Creative Solutions for Family Caregiver Support Group meets the 3rd Thursday of every month at 4:00 PM at the Mruk Family Center on Aging. Call (870) 508-3880.
- Living Well with Parkinson’s Support Group meets the 1st Thursday of every month at 1:00 PM at the Mruk Center on Aging. Register online or call (870) 508-3880.
- Better Breather’s Support Group meets the 2nd Friday of every month at 2:00 PM at the Mruk Center on Aging. Call (870) 508-3880.
Benton County -
- Dementia Caregiver Support Group meets the 3rd Thursday at 10 am at the Adult Wellness Center in Rogers. Call (479) 631-3333.
Boone County -
- Caregiver Support Group meets the 1st Wednesday from 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM at the Area Agency on Aging, 125 Industrial Park Road, Building 2, Unit H. Call (870) 743-1623.
- Community Diabetes Support Group meets the 2nd Thursday of the month from 6:00 - 8:00 PM at the Durand Center. Contact the Community Health Resource Center at (870) 743-CHRC (2472).
- Parkinson’s Support Group meets the 2nd Tuesday of every other month from 1:00 - 2:00 PM at the Durand Center at 303 North Main Street. Contact the Community Health Resource Center at (870) 743-CHRC (2472).
- Type 1 Diabetes Support Group meets monthly at Sam Alexander Pharmacy at 5:00 PM. Call Tara Wilmont at (870) 741-6511 for information.
Marion County -
- Alzheimer’s/Dementia Caregiver Support Group Carefree Living in Bull Shoals. Call (870) 656-9793 for information.
Washington County - Several groups are offered for caregivers of all types
- In Springdale, contact the Schmeiding Center for Senior Health and Education at (479) 751-3043 for group times and dates.
- In Fayetteville contact Gillian Woods at Washington Regional Senior Health Center at (479) 463-4444 for group times and dates.
The support groups are offered free to the public and the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas will provide care for elderly/disabled people in Baxter and Boone Counties while the caregiver attends the support group. No pre-registration is required except for those people who need help with care of an elderly or disabled individual during the class. To arrange for care, call the facility where the group meeting is being held.
The Adult Day Centers, which provide recreational activities, nutritious meals and caring supervision for seniors who cannot be left alone, is provided through Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas. The center’s regular hours of operation are from 7:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday and transportation is available for those that need the service.
The agency has the following resources available:
- Assistance with care while attending classes
- A caregiver tips brochure
- A series of Educated Caregiver videos available to be checked out from the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas Office in your local county – the series includes Coping Skills, Hands-On Skills and Essential Knowledge (legal and financial info)
To receive a complimentary digital edition of Today's Caregiver magazine click here. You can also visit the Today's Caregiver website for other useful information for caregivers. Click here for Today's Caregiver website.
The agency also offers other services for older people which include:
- Care Coordination
- Adult Day Centers
- Personal Emergency Response System
- In-Home Care
- Home-Delivered Meals
- Case Management
- Scheduled Transportation
- Medical Supplies
Call 800-432-9721 or email for additional information.