Family Caregiver Support Program
Our Family Caregiver Specialist provides a wide variety of services designed to help caregivers and educate the community about demands of being a caregiver including ways to cope.
If you are caring for an elderly loved one, friend or neighbor, you need to know about the ways that the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas can help you.
To improve the quality of life for you and the one you care for, the agency offers:
- Dementia Support Groups in Baxter County
A support group, which deals especially with the needs of people caring for loved ones with dementia, meets in Baxter County each month. The group begins with a presentation on a topic of interest to the caregivers followed by an opportunity for them to share experiences and gain support from each other. Baxter County meets on the 2nd Friday of each month at 3:30 pm at Baxter House Adult Day Center located in the Van Matre Senior Services Center in Mountain Home - for additional information call 870-425-7585.
- Caregiver Support Group
- BAXTER COUNTY - Dementia Education and Support Group meets the 4th Friday at 3:00 pm at the Mruk Family Center on Aging in Mountain Home, Arkansas. For additional information call 870-508-3880.
- BOONE COUNTY - Caregiver Support Group meets the 1st Wednesday of each month from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm at the Blue Roof Mall, 125 West Industrial Park Road – Bldg. 2, Unit H, Harrison, Arkansas. Contact Chelsey Weaver at 870-743-1623 for more information.
- MARION COUNTY - Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregiver Support Group meets the 1st Tuesday of each month at 1:00 pm at the Marion County Senior Activity Center, 5966 Hwy 202 East, Flippin, Arkansas. Contact Chelsey Weaver at 870-743-1623 for more information.
- WASHINGTON COUNTY - If you are interested in attending a Parkinson's Dance/Support Group, please contact Chelsey Weaver at 870-743-1623 or 888-286-3621.
- In-depth Caregiver Workshops
If you are caring for an elderly loved one, friend or neighbor, in the home, these workshops are specifically designed for you. These workshops are brought to you through the cooperative efforts of the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas and the Schmieding Center for Senior Health and Education. Support Groups are also available. Topics include: infection control, skin care, nutrition, incontinence, body mechanics, transferring, mobility and range of motion, caregiver stress, safety, bathing and dressing, personal care skills and local resources and reference materials. Please call 479-876-2335 or 888-866-8991 for registration, respite care information, or directions.
The support groups are offered free to the public and the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas will provide care for elderly/disabled people in Baxter and Boone Counties while the caregiver attends the support group. No pre-registration is required except for those people who need help with care of an elderly or disabled individual during the class. To arrange for care, call the facility where the group meeting is being held.
The Adult Day Centers, which provide recreational activities, nutritious meals and caring supervision for seniors who cannot be left alone, is provided through Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas. The center’s regular hours of operation are from 7:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday and transportation is available for those that need the service.
The agency has the following resources available:
- Assistance with care while attending classes
- A caregiver tips brochure
- A series of Educated Caregiver videos available to be checked out from the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas Office in your local county – the series includes Coping Skills, Hands-On Skills and Essential Knowledge (legal and financial info)
To receive a complimentary digital edition of Today's Caregiver magazine click here. You can also visit the Today's Caregiver website for other useful information for caregivers. Click here for Today's Caregiver website.
The agency also offers other services for older people which include:
- Care Coordination
- Adult Day Centers
- Personal Emergency Response System
- In-Home Care
- Home-Delivered Meals
- Case Management
- Scheduled Transportation
- Medical Supplies
Call 800-432-9721 or email for additional information.